Search This Blog

Friday 11 April 2014

Evaluation - Question 2

How effective is the combination of my main product and ancillary tasks?


Throughout my products, one thing I have focused on is a consistent and professional house style. I have followed a few principles of design that have been implemented in all aspects of creation - the production company, the film, the poster, and the magazine spread. This style includes the use of minimal colours and sticking with a black and white scheme for most logos and designs.

I chose this design as I didn't want to over stylise my piece, which is reflected in the film's simple style - present in it's cinematography mostly. I wanted there to be a focus on the characters of my film and their story, rather than it's style. Substance over style, if you will. Below is an example of how I have used basic Cinematography to keep the focus on the characters.


In the scene shown, the two characters share a pivotal narrative moment, and I did not want to detract from that by having flashy, or otherwise distracting cinematography. Throughout my product, the narrative focus is the characters, and whilst I did have a post-modern and almost self aware style to my film, I always tried to keep the audience focused on the characters. I believe my house style has gone a long way towards this, particularly so in my ancillary tasks. In my double page spread - seen below, I only had screenshots of the characters when they were being interviewed. They were the focus of the whole thing, just as in the film.
In this sense, I believe that my ancillary tasks and my final product have been very successful. They follow similar styles throughout and they give a distinct sense of focus as well as building a brand. I designed a logo for the film, present throughout my media. It can be seen above, in the Magazine Spread. It is the title of my film in a simple typeface that gives a formal feel. The typeface is one usually associated with typewriters, which added to that formality and, contrasted by the comedy of the film, adds a very Indie feel to the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment