Search This Blog

Friday 25 October 2013

Magazine Spread Deconstructions


This is an example of a magazine spread. Most of the spread consists of stills in the film, as well as behind the scenes images. In the pictures we see primary characters, as well as primary props from the film. The whole thing is dominated by promotional images, and I will reflect this by including many stills from shooting and from the final product itself. There is some boxes including highlighted quotes from the text which I quite like the look of, and might include something similar in my final piece to bring the reader's attention to specific pieces of information. There is also something to the left related to another film, which appears to be a frequent piece in the magazine which is something I will think about incorporating into my final product.


In this spread, it seems again that it is primarily dominated by movie stills. This is likely to make the large spread more digestible for the reader. The piece seems primarily concerned with providing teasers to the audience, in an attempt to draw them into seeing the film. It provides small pieces of information, and large stills from the films showing various characters and shot types, providing a range of different thoughts as to what this film may be like. 


This spread, from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is the same. Most of the spread is image and a smaller portion is text. Again, I believe this is to generate hype for the film in a way that is considered quite digestible. This is not supposed to be an informative piece, but more of an advertisement.

Throughout this deconstructions, I have found that they are all dominated by images to make the article more digestible to the audiences. I believe this to be quite patronising to the audience, and I am going to try and avoid this by having equal parts images and interesting information about the film in my magazine spread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment