Search This Blog

Saturday 21 September 2013

Narrative Developments

While thinking through my ideas, and developing the characters, I began to think about the practicality of the film, in relation to the characters I had in mind and the locations etc, and decided to make some changes to my initial narrative. These include:

- The setting.
I decided to change the setting from a college to a community centre teaching classes to 18+ students. This way I get a greater range of ages from the students, and it allows for more manoeuvrability within the characters. I have also found a great place to shoot my film, a local office complex where my dad works.
- The ages of characters.
The characters now range from the ages of 18 to about 27. This allows for a more diverse scope of characters.


I have also now fully cast my film. I have a full list of characters, and brief notes on each of them. I messaged all of my actors (all of which have previous experience in amateur, and some in professional, acting) on Facebook in a group message, confirming their characters and their collaboration with the project. I have included this message below.



Hey guys. I'm making this group message for my student film. I have the whole thing laid out, I just need to get writing really. I have a full cast list so you can all start having a think. Here it is:
Film Details
Micheal - Jon Teacher. Passionate. Motivated. He isn't massively bothered about money, but knows that he should be. Claims to feel fulfilled in life, but he isn't quite sure.
Andy - Andrew He thinks he's the best thing to happen to women since suffrage. "Not being racist is the new racist" is a good way to describe him, in terms of race, class, looks, and gender views. Very David Brent.
Joe - Dan Proper brown noser. Loved Andy, they went to school together. Very logical, but stupid. Lacks common sense, but thinks he is efficient etc.
Will - Jim The 'straight' guy. Thinks Joe and Andy are tossers, finds joy in screwing with them. Likes Lucy
Lucy - Kylie All round good person, likes everybody, even Andy who is always making advances on her (but she can handle him easily). Likes Will.
Rachael - Rachael (duh) Student teacher. Infatuated with Micheal. Very obsessive. Means well, but can be quite loopy.
Emily - Kate Micheal's (now ex) girlfriend. Self absorbed. Vain.
If you can't do the film, that's fine, but just let me know as soon as possible. There will be a script but I'm also playing about with a few other ideas, most of which include improv. Also, the class they are all a part of is Media Production, just so ya know. Also, while I'm at it all, here's a plot synopsis:
Micheal has it all, a job he loves (teaching Media Production to 18+ students in a community centre), a nice flat, and a gorgeous girlfriend. Until she leaves him, his dad is diagnosed with cancer, and his childhood pet is put down on the same morning. And he has to get to work. He can't teach in this condition so he storms out, leaving his student teacher to take the class on her own. The students know his girlfriend left him (Lucy is friends with her), and they set him up in a room on his own with Rachael, who quickly comes on to him instead of them finding a natural chemistry like the students thought. He realises what this gesture is and cheers up, realising he has a lot more than he thought he did. Then his girlfriend shows up to see him, and is outraged to find him smiling without her, so she asks for him back. He says no, and all is well.
The whole thing is a mockumentary, and is very like the office, so there's gonna be a lot of comedy, and warm fuzzy feels. I'm looking forward to sending you all the script. Thanks!

I also sent a copy of this message, via text, to the person doing operating the camera for my movie, as he is not active on Facebook.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment